In chapter 6, we went to the ballet and soaked up Graf Station’s local color. Chapter 7 opens with a dramatic discovery—the blood in the docking bay was synthesized. This launches us out of the tourist section of the story and back into the mystery.
The important thing about this section is the clues:
- Someone synthesized Solian’s blood, then dumped a large quantity of it on the floor in the docking bay.
- Someone shoots and Miles and Bel as they leave a meeting with the convoy’s passengers. At the time, they are accompanied by one of the convoy’s passengers, another Betan herm named Ker Dubauer.
- The weapon used in the shooting was a modified rivet gun.
- The attacker is not immediately apprehended.
- Ker Dubauer is a dealer in exotic animals, and is travelling with uterine replicators full of his merchandise. Ker needs to service the replicators, and may need to ...